Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Cat-and-Mouse Chase

I have to be incredibly jobless to write about this. I realise that, in some part of my brain. But then, that part of my brain was no part of the awe experienced by the rest of me as I watched Cartoon Network's Tom and Jerry today, after something like an eon...though it's probably been no more than eight years or so.

At some point eight years ago, that show which I had loved with all my heart became nothing but annoying background music as I got into 'older' stuff. (Background music because I got a little sister - whoo hoo - right about then). I mean, you can only watch the same stuff over and over again so many times once you're over the rolling-on-the-floor laughing stage. But today, I didn't laugh or even grin. I merely wondered how a little grey cat and an even smaller brown mouse - two of nature's extremely common creations - could survive getting run over, beaten the crap out of by a particularly monstrous bulldog, inhaled and sneezed out by a T-Rex, carried off by a pterodactyl (presumably for edible purposes), falling off the top floors of buildings, getting struck by lightning, and let's not forget the classic coming down a chimney and catching fire and collapsing into a pile of ashes, only to regenerate within a second, looking around comically bewildered.

That is a lot to wonder, I tell you.

The only conclusion I could arrive to was that well, it's only a cartoon show, and of course the whole world is crazy. Accepting that, the world stands explained.

No comments:

Post a Comment